A variation on the Nigella ‘Ham in Coke’ recipe….This is a tasty alternative.
Inspired after seeing a food truck at the Foos gig at Murrayfield last weekend selling Irn Bru Pulled Pork, I decided I had to have a go at making it at the first opportunity.
- Pork Shoulder
- 500ml Irn Bru (full sugar version)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tblsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tblsp dark brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tblsp cornflour
- 2 tblsp water
- dash of worcestershire sauce
- dash of tabasco sauce
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- Remove excess fat from the pork shoulder. Pat dry.
- In a pestle and mortar, place the garlic, paprika, sugar, mustard powder, salt and pepper with a little of the Irn Bru to make a paste.
- Cover the pork shoulder in the paste and leave to marinate overnight if desired.
- Place pork shoulder in slow cooker with remaining Irn Bru and cook for a minimum of 9 hours.
- Remove pork and leave to rest. Pour remaining liquid into a saucepan and reduce by half. Mix the cornflour and water together and whilst stirring, add to reduced liquid. Simmer and add in the worcestershire sauce, tabasco and soy sauce.
- Using two forks, pull pork and pour some of the sauce over the top, leaving the remainder in a pot (if required).
- Serve with toasted brioche buns, apple sauce and coleslaw (or as I preferred, fries and kale chips!).